skip to content

Education Quality and Policy Office


This page is designed to answer common questions and help you navigate the site.  You may also find our Policy Index A-Z guide useful.  If you have further queries, or can't find what you're looking for, Officers in the Education Quality and Policy Office would be happy to help; please contact us.


Q. How can I make changes to a course?

Visit our pages on Changes to existing courses to help you identify what type of change is necessary and how to make it.  You should also contact your Liaison Officer in the team, who can help you with each stage of the process.  Deadlines will vary according to the type of change, and may be as early as 1-2 years in advance.

Q. What is a Form and Conduct Notice?

Form and Conduct Notices detail how modes of assessment change in relation to the same examination from the previous year, and are vital in ensuring students are able to revise appropriately.  Publication of Form and Conduct Notices is regulated by University Ordinances; see our pages about Changes to existing courses for more information. It is expected that faculties and departments will not need to submit Form and Conduct Notices for assessments in 2021/22.

Q. How do I appoint Examiners?

In broad terms, the General Board formally appoints Examiners for all undergraduate examinations leading to an award of the University and for taught Masters' awards. Assessors for these awards are appointed by the relevant Faculty Board or Degree Committee.

Examiners and Assessors for the University's postgraduate research awards are appointed by the relevant Degree Committee.

Visit the Appointment of Examiners pages of the Student Registry website for further details on who can be nominated for each of these roles, along with timelines for appointment.

Q. If a combination of papers is not permitted in the Regulations, how can I allow a student to take it?

The General Board do not allow students to offer combinations not permitted in the regulations, except in very exceptional circumstances.  For details about what constitutes an exceptional case, and how to proceed, see our pages on illegal combinations of papers.

Q. What feedback should students receive?

While standard practices vary by course, you can visit our feedback to students pages for general guidance on University expectations.

Q. How does the University monitor its programmes?

There are several methods for quality assurance, at the local and University level.  More information on reporting and assurance mechanisms can be found on our pages about Quality Assurance.  The University also encourages participation in several national student surveys.

Q. How do College and University teaching mechanisms support each other?

The supervision system is central to the Cambridge education.

Visit our pages on co-ordination of University and College teaching for further information about the role of both faculties/departments and Colleges in undergraduate teaching.

Q. Does the University use Turnitin?

The University encourages the use of Turnitin within faculties and departments as an educational tool as well as for examinations. Policy on the usage of Turnitin and further information about plagiarism is available on the University’s Plagiarism pages

Q. What is the University’s standard marking scheme?

The University does not adhere to a single scheme for the Tripos examinations; instead, faculties and departments are responsible for creating, publishing, and maintaining a transparent scheme for marking and classing. Taught Master's level courses do normally adhere to standard grading boundaries of a 60% pass mark and 75% for distinction, unless they have been granted special dispensation; however, courses may have individual weighting requirements. Further details can be found in our policy on Marking standards and classing conventions.